Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Here's to looking at you, kid"

"Here's to looking at you, kid." I always write it on the margins on my papers, and incorporate it in all my doodles, and for the first time, someone asked me what it means. I've never thought about what it means, but I've always known.

It means watching the world, observing all its madness and beauty unfold. It means means looking at the abyss and the abyss looking right back at you. It means looking at the ones you love, when you know that looking is the closet you'll ever be to them. It means looking at all the things you just can't have. It means craning your neck to get a better look at yourself, as if peering through the bars of a zoo cage to catch a glimpse of a beast with no name.

It means to love and be loved. That is all.

1 comment:

  1. s....

    its an understatement to say how much i appreciate your thoughtful intelligence and poetic spirit.

    heres looking at you, kid.

    cg

    ReplyDelete